Favourite Xanthe Story?

Xanthe Home Forums Xanthe’s Stories Favourite Xanthe Story?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • Author
      Xanthe
      Keymaster

I’ thinking of setting up a poll for it but I know I’ll miss out someone’s favourite and they’ll be annoyed with me!

Haggy
      Participant

I love the whole BDSM universe and I sat for days and up half of all of those nights reading 24/7 but Subterfuge was the one that had my heart racing and my anxiety levels going through the roof. The story was alarming and cruel in places and the characters struggled to survive. It was totally addicitive.

Xanthe
      Keymaster

Ooh – interesting! I love it when people remember the early fics! I’m so glad it was one of those that had you on the edge of your seat!

jacci
      Keymaster

Oh, I did exactly the same with 24/7, sat down and read it through in pretty much one big hit, who needs pesky sleep after all. And recently just started to re-read it again, but got sidetracked on a purple project ;D .
      Sounds interesting about Subterfuge, might have to put that at the top of my list when I get some free time again!

hab318princess
      Participant

For me it’s still Hiding in Plain Sight … maybe because it’s a fandom I’ve watched most in and because, as it feels to me, it gives me an emotional satisfaction… but I love the whole BDSM universe

sexycazzy
      Participant

There are so many Xanthe favourite stories but the ones that stand out for me are: General & Dr Sheppard and Hiding in Plain Sight (I have got both zines in print btw!) I just love the BDSM universe Xanthe wrote in, and I love the alternative versions in the General & Dr Sheppard! And HiPS was a great crossover with NCIS!
      :D

JustMe
      Participant

All the stories you have written! How to choose from that?
      Hmm….well, I very much enjoy rereading ‘The Friday Night Club’ from The West Wing. The dynamic between these three men on screen worked just as well when put to use in the Blue Bedroom. I have reread it a couple of times now, the entire story and not just the scenes that I liked best ;D
      Now ’24/7′ I found very interesting too, I have not reread it, just a chapter or scene here and there. That’s more because it’s such a large and very intense story. It sucked me in and took up all of my attention, probably because it was my first multi-chapter novel style story with a BDSM theme I read. The involvement of Walter and Fox in the NCIS fic ‘Two Masters’ did make my day though *g*
      ‘Hiding in plain sight’, ‘General & Dr Sheppard’, ‘Coming Home’, ‘Doctor’s Orders’…..they are not my favorites, but runner ups ::)

taylorgibbs

I quite literally could not choose one! I’m still making my way through the X files stories, so maybe I should wait to answer this until I’ve read everything!
      I feel a particular…well..fondness for Andy, since it was the first of X’s stories I’d read. It was winter…just after Christmas if I recall correctly, and I was sick. This new (to me!) author had posted a NCIS story and it was a *long* one. I devoured it, and when I was done reading it, I realized the new gold standard in NCIS fandom had been set.
      But as for a true favorite…I can’t choose.

Haggy
      Participant

I’m not sure if im replying in the right place but with regards to Subterfuge if you were thinking of reading it jacci its a very scary x files episode with really hot bits I wish we saw on tv . ;)

Xanthe
      Keymaster

LOL! I would SO love for Subterfuge to have been an actual XF episode *g*.

wintermute
      Participant

…I always have a hard time choosing a fav. but I will always remember 24/7 lol… it’s really the first English language fanfic I’ve ever read. It has a special place. Also, Frozen. it has a very special place in my heart…

freak_in_corner
      Participant

Everything I’ve read of yours always ends up in my bookmarks and my favourite story which I’ll go back and read :D I suppose if I had to pick some though it wouldbe the whole BDSM universe, The Chair and Birth-Day. Those are the ones that I can’t help but always go back too. But Possession end up there too when I’ve had chance to read it lol

SanLynn
      Participant

I have a hard time choosing a favorite but I’ll go with Hiding in Plain Sight because it’s the first fic of yours that I read and it’s the first NCIS fic I read and I’ve spent a lot of quality time since reading every NCIS Tony/Gibbs fic I can find.
      But, really, everything you write that I’ve read is golden.

weebeanie
      Participant

My fave Xanthe story? I can say all of them right? Because I like to reread my way through many again and again and again…
      But if I had to choose just one (in face of torture – like losing all my bookmarks but one.)
      It would be Hiding in plain sight.
      I found my way to Xanthe’s fic through the SGA stories which I love. I am especially fond of The Chair, Coming Home and General and Doctor Sheppard. Then I read Hiding in plain sight and it totally blew me away. To have a crossover between two of my fave tv series was amazing. It started my whole Gibbs/Tony addiction.
      I also love Andy, Soul Deep, Two Wolves and yeah, everything on the site. :)

??? It is so hard to chose just one story. I am in that boat with everyone else. I think it is a toss up between Soul Deep and Two Wolves. The whole 24/7 Universe is out of this world and are in their own special “nothing can come close or be equal” box.

jacci
      Keymaster

Haggy, Subterfuge is on my list.. having recently coded these stories (nearly 200 in total) there are so many i haven’t read, but now want to. Two Wolves looks really good.
      Out of the ones i have read, i woudl have to say my all time fav… and not just fanfiction or even Xanthe fic, but my all time fave story EVER, is the Adversary. OMG i love that story. it is so intense, so well written, so perfectly characterised. So dark, but tender, offering insights into characters that you rarely see. I think i have judged every fic i have read since then by that one.
      Don’t know how many times i have read it, i have it on my phone, in case i am stuck in the bank queue and i need something good to read. I have always been a reader and apparently a closet slash fan (anybody who has read Anne Rice’s Interview with a Vampire… that is pretty damn slashy) and i always come back to the Adversary.

HildeJ
      Participant

Very, very hard…. Puppy Love always makes me smile, Sunrise makes my heart ache and Damage hits me like a punch in the gut, no matter how many times I read it. I think I’ll have to go with General and Dr. Sheppard for SGA, and Damage for NCIS. Andy will always have a special place in my heart, as that was one of the first stories I read in this fandom

brettnbethsmum
      Participant

Hiding In Plain Sight has to be up there because I love the BDSM universe, it also introduced me to Xanthe’s writing and NCIS as well as being totally riveting. But…… I have to confess a corner of my heart belongs to Puppy Love (&, I suspect, always will!) it’s just so right for that pairing. Have to say I’ve never read a bad Xanthe story yet!

Haggy
      Participant

I’m off to find that because I cant for the life of me remember it and i thought i had read all the x files stories!

Xanthe
      Keymaster

I’m always so interested in hearing the ones people loved. I find I’ve got stories that I loved writing, and some I love reading, and some where it’s both – and those are the best. Puppy Love was one of those! It’s one of my all time favourites of my own. I love Sunrise too. With the big ones, my love of them is sometimes tainted by how hard it is to write long stories! So while I know lots of people love 24/7 and Two Masters, I always have mixed feelings about them. I can remember the struggle of making them work and bringing them to fruition all too well!
      And something like Damage – that was really hard to write – I was straddling such a fine line with keeping it true to the experience Tony had gone through and everyone’s reaction to it, while at the same time not selling it out or over-egging it. And some bits were so horrible I could hardly bear writing them but they had to be there. I find it’s one I like to dip into and re-read bits of a lot though – more than many of my stories. The bit where Gibbs goes to Tony’s apartment to find out the truth— I’ve read that tons of times. And the bit in the bowling alley. And the bit with the shattered glass *g*.
      Then there are some that were just a dream to write – A Man of Two Truths was like that for me. I still love that story to bits after all this time.
      Whereas others I find utterly embarrassing. And some I look at and don’t remember writing at all – that’s really freaky when that happens! LOL! But I suppose it has been 13 years!

Amets_Sorgin

Ultra difficult. Erm, I only read the NCIS ones because the other fandoms do nowt for me, although I did read 24/7 to get an idea of Fox/Walter dynamics when reading Two Masters, and have read Possessions out of idle curiosity.
      I think there’s only one Tibbs story I don’t like (and NO I’m not telling which one it is Xan [/font][/size] :-X [size=2][font=comic sans ms] suffice to say it simply left me cold) – but then there had to be one even if Tibbs is my extra special favourite, not to mention Xanthe and TaylorGibbs are the culprits of my addiction to said fandom (innocent soul that I once was before I fell into the denizons of Gutterdom :)
      Sorry I’m rambling here, despite BDSM being an area that gives me the gips, I thoroughly enjoyed HIPS and Two Masters because they were exceptionally well written.
      Then of course there are those wry humorous stories like Puppy or the one about Tony’s Dry Spell or the poignancy of Frozen or Damaged then there’s the angst and horror of Two Wolves.
      I think the only way to settle this is for Xan to keep writing

taylorgibbs

Innocent. Sorgy??/ *snort* :whip:

Amets_Sorgin

What I said was:innocent soul that I once was beforeI fell into the denizons of Gutterdom :)
      :whipcrack: Those specs need adjusting *polishes halo for excursions outside Gutterdom*

taylorgibbs

Watch out, you might be smited ;)

Amets_Sorgin

??? !??? ! ??? ! Not nice :'( :'( :'( :'( Itsas!!! Come protect amatxu

taylorgibbs

Save yourself, Itsas!!!! :P

Xanthe
      Keymaster

Ultra difficult. Erm, I only read the NCIS ones because the other fandoms do nowt for me, although I did read 24/7 to get an idea of Fox/Walter dynamics when reading Two Masters, and have read Possessions out of idle curiosity.
      I think there’s only one Tibbs story I don’t like (and NO I’m not telling which one it is Xan :-X suffice to say it simply left me cold) – but then there had to be one even if Tibbs is my extra special favourite, not to mention Xanthe and TaylorGibbs are the culprits of my addiction to said fandom (innocent soul that I once was before I fell into the denizons of Gutterdom :)
      Sorry I’m rambling here, despite BDSM being an area that gives me the gips, I thoroughly enjoyed HIPS and Two Masters because they were exceptionally well written.
      Then of course there are those wry humorous stories like Puppy or the one about Tony’s Dry Spell or the poignancy of Frozen or Damaged then there’s the angst and horror of Two Wolves.
      I think the only way to settle this is for Xan to keep writing ::)
      Oh I’m fairly sure I know which one it is *g*.

Amets_Sorgin

Ack! I iz undone if you know which one it is
      :-[
      Though considering the number of Tibbs’ stories you’ve written, the fact there is only one I haven’t liked is not bad

hab318princess
      Participant

There are many stories I enjoyed immensely – and will need to read again and some older ones I have yet to discover. Two Wolves was awesome – but the one that I always go back to is Hiding in plain sight. It is like my comfort story – I get a sense of well being after reading it.
      (and Xanthe was gracious enough to let me write a what happend next back at the Navy Yard… which added to the experience for me personally)

游凤戏龙

Hello, i read 24/7 and like it very much. it shock me. In this story i’v gotten to know love is also exsited in BDSM. the only one i’m a little dispointed is Sniker’s bald. :)

Xanthe
      Keymaster

DO watch Suits – it’s very snappy and good fun and the D/s slash is right up there onscreen. So glad you mentioned Birth-Day as I’ve got some plans for that universe…
      And you mentioned Fireboy! I love that fic still – hee! Love that you also mentioned some really old ones like Contagium and Crush – I doubt anyone much reads those these days so it’s nice to know somebody still thinks fondly of them :-) .
      I think Human is one of the best stories I’ve ever written – but not for the faint of heart!

UprightIguana
      Participant

One favorite? One?! Let’s do this by ‘verse, shall we?
      X-files: Subterfuge, the agonizing Human, the oh-so-sweet Crush, the tense Contagium and the sweetly funny The Missing Link.
      NCIS: Damage, Two Wolves, Two Masters, the spine-tingly Birth-Day.
      The West Wing: The Friday Night Club verse, and the hilarious Fireboy
      Stargate Atlantis: Disappointing Yoda.
      I have got to get around to watching Suits…

UprightIguana
      Participant

DO watch Suits – it’s very snappy and good fun and the D/s slash is right up there onscreen. So glad you mentioned Birth-Day as I’ve got some plans for that universe…
      Oooh, really? I’m not into vamps (too many glistening-in-the-sunlight vamps) but I love the Sookie Stackhouse feel of Gibbs with fangs… yum. (Did I really say ‘yum’? ::) )

jacci
      Keymaster

I am thinking of changing my vote from The Adversary to Two Wolves, have just finished reading that for the second time and just love it so much. And i like NCIS more than X-files too, but it is a very close call between those two stories.

Xanthe
      Keymaster

WOW! Really? Because I KNOW how much The Adversary means to you! So that’s amazing – LOL!

McShepletGirl
      Participant

X-Files…probably 24/7…but can I also mention a strange liking for ‘Daddy’!(Short enough for a quick read – andeven though I knew where things were going it was just so compelling – and the little hints you get to the conclusion on rereading…it’s a very well-crafted story)
      NCIS – HiPS – especially Ducky’s back story and the inspired pairing he ends up in….or Two Wolves, amzing story!…or Two Masters – love it so much!
      West Wing…’Twas the night before…(just so funny!)
      SGA – I suppose Coming Home – it’s the first I read which makes it kind of special…..and you know that ‘Breaking The Rules’ is just so special to me!
      Suits – 3 Masters (ok, so you haven’t actually written it yet….but you will!). Until then, Possession simply because I read this before I actually saw the series – and when i saw the show I felt I already knew the characters!

Xanthe
      Keymaster

ROFL re Three Masters! I don’t think you’re going to let me forget that one *g*. Maybe S2 of Suits will inspire me! I LOVE how you felt you knew the Suits boys because you’d read Possession before seeing the show :-)
      Thank you for mentioning Daddy – I was worried about how shocking that one might be in the fandom, but I couldn’t stop myself writing it all the same *g*.
      And Ducky in HiPS! I had no idea I was going to do that pairing and then suddenly I started writing it, stopped, stared at the screen, and literally squeed out loud! LOL! I had to email Bluespirit to tell her about it as it was SO perfect and SO unexpected :-) .

Eliona
      Participant

Thank you Xanthe, for creating those wonderful fic ~(˘▾˘~)

Well, I have to admit that it’s hard for me to find the MOST favourite Xanthe story. I read a lot of her works; most of them are Suits and NCIS fanfics. I’d say that Xanthe stories are very distinctive, and i rarely put my phone down when I was enjoying her fantastic works.

I found Xanthe because of 24/7 (600k words), but the irony thing here is I found her in a Chinese BDSM fiction; the author is Xanthe’s huge fan, and hell yeah she recommend Xanthe (of course) and 24/7.

Please note that I am not Chinese, despite I read a lot of Chinese fiction/fanfiction (include BDSM). I couldn’t say how happy I was when I found Xanthe work. It’s just… touching. Dear, I may read many NC17 fiction/fanfiction, but the rate of BDSM fanfic is so low that sometimes I mistook some kinds of sexual assaults just because the author knows nothing about BDSM (hell, even they claim their work as BDSM, it’s still not, not at all)

Xanthe works, with me, have two sides. One is angst (eg: “The First Collar” and “Hiding in Plain sight”, i cried a lot reading these two); another one is pink, fluff, happy, smut blah blah anything sweet (Suits fanfic for example). I appreciate that Xanthe wrote both sides so well, at least I know I can heal my fangirl heart after it’s been cracked in angst fics.

For those who are news to reading Xanthe works, I recommend them to start with BDSM universe such as “The First Collar” and “Hiding in Plain sight”. The former is open ending, but easy to catch up; the later is a little bit fast in timeline (5 years later) but feels never fail.

Then starters can continue with Suits fanfic, heart healed with those sweet little cuteness of Harvey/Mike (just read Suits fanfic, especially after reading Hiding in Plain sight)

Again and last word to Xanthe: thanks thanks thanks, for your hard works (づ ̄3 ̄)づ❤~

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Show Buttons
Hide Buttons