Best Season One Episode?

Xanthe Home Forums TV Fandoms Suits Best Season One Episode?

Tagged: 

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Xanthe
      Keymaster

Vote for your favourite S1 Suits episode!
      I found this really hard because they were ALL so good. In the end I went for Rules of the Game because I loved the cracks we started to see in Harvey’s carefully constructed persona. But I have a huge fondness for Errors and Omissions which was so BDSMy it was unreal.S

Anonymous
      Inactive

Same. So hard to choose just one but ended up going with Rules of the Game. The bet for Mike was great *g* but Gabriel did a fantastic job of showing us the cracks starting to form in Harvey that it tipped the scales as the favourite.
      Also really loved Errors and Omissions (squee), Dog Fight and Play the Man. And The Shelf Life…. they’re all great!! :D

Xanthe
      Keymaster

I know! There really isn’t a bad episode at all in the first season, making it hard to choose! But Errors and Omissions is my second favourite too! LOL! It really IS BDSM right up there onscreen!

Anonymous
      Inactive

I loved the whole season but ended up picking the pilot episode just because it was awesome and I knew that it would be an amazing seasons (plus its the one I’ve gone back and watched the most lol)

Xanthe
      Keymaster

The pilot was awesome! I love how the show came straight out of the gate being fantastic from the beginning. Really strong pilot!

Anonymous
      Inactive

While I’ve loved each ep, I think I’m partial to Bailout because of the scene where Mike has to come clean to Harvey that Trevor is being held hostage. The look of concern on Harvey’s face when Mike looks like he’s ready to cry just gets me every time.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I usually watch a pilot and think ‘this has potential’ but never really go back and watch it as much as the middle episodes but with suits I was omg this is EPIC and rewatched it about 5 times in as many weeks

Xanthe
      Keymaster

Bailout is a huge favourite of mine too. I love that Harvey is such a badass that he walks in there with only his brains to protect him. And it works! And I love that he feels protective of Mike in this way. He’s also very jealous of Trevor *g*.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Heh heh. Noticed that, too, eh? While I think Harvey is completely right in telling Mike to drop Trevor like a bad habit, methinks his motives are not entirely pure. Pure. Like any of Harvey’s motives are pure where Mike is concerned.
      I’ve never been into BDSM, like, at all, and until this show I’ve never really seen it on screen so blatantly displayed for all to see, but now that I have seen it, I’ve been searching out fic that plays with it. That being said, I am off to read the novel you just posted… Will comment later if I’m still coherent enough to do so. *G*

Xanthe
      Keymaster

Yup! Harvey IS right about Trevor and clearly doesn’t want Mike getting hurt, but at the same time he’s in kind of a battle with Trevor over who gets to own Mike – not that anyone but HARVEY would win that, of course, but Mike goes back a long way with Trevor so there was always going to be a lot of angst in Mike’s transition. And I doubt it’s over yet!
      LOL re the BDSM. I love how blatant it is – it’s just undeniable, up there, onscreen! Hope you enjoy the fic :-)

Anonymous
      Inactive

I agree Trevor is bad news and Mike is better off without him, but really, Mike is just trading one felony-waiting-to-happen for another. The only upside for Mike is that he’s more likely to live through the one he’s committing now.
      It’s my only nit-pick with the show — they’ve really left no wiggle room for Mike and Harvey to make it out unscathed once the shit hits the fan. I can’t wait for next season to start to see how they deal with the fall-out. Honestly though, Harvey is really setting his firm (and Jessica) up for a huge fall and not even Louis would do that. The absolute arrogance of Harvey is staggering. And a huge turn-on. *g* So, totally not complaining.
      Re: your fic. I’m on chapter three, but it’s 4 in the morning here, so I think I’m going to finish it this afternoon. Your Louis is spot on and a total hoot! LOL I can totally hear his voice saying every word you’ve written. What a smarmy ass. Mike and Harvey are lovely as well and written very in-character, which is fantastic since many of the stories that deal with this topic tip over into OOC very quickly and thus have me hitting the back button in a hot panic. I’m a delicate little flower here, and need to be led by the hand into this particular dungeon lol.

Xanthe
      Keymaster

I think this is a good point and one I’ve worried about a lot. Harvey is a risk taker but he seems to be genuinely fond of Jessica and in her debt to a certain extent. So why do the thing with Mike? In episode one, it seemed to make sense, but the more the show goes on, and the more we see of his relationships, the less believable I’ve found it that he would have done it in the first place. I do think he’s arrogant (obviously!) but he’s also shown himself very loyal and to have a heart underneath all the arrogance. So, what he’s done by taking on Mike is a huge betrayal of Jessica’s trust.
      Maybe…(I don’t like this idea but it’s a possibility) what they’ll do is have Jessica find out and demote Harvey to Junior Partner and Louis will take his place as senior. Not sure what they’ll do with Mike but it’d be horrible (although maybe funny) if Louis is able to take him on in some capacity. I don’t know – i don’t want Harvey humiliated like that but he’s done something really stupid and if he’s going to live on a higher level, as he’s said he prefers, with more adrenaline and excitement, then he has to take the fallout.
      But maybe Trevor isn’t going to spill the beans about that – maybe he’s going to tell Jessica about Mike doing some dealing for him, or about how Mike and Harvey hired him to put the frighteners on that guy. I dunno!
      Glad you’re enjoying the fic! I think I lead everyone very gently into the dungeon in this story! LOL! Harvey certainly takes his time to ease Mike into it!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Actually no, no leagal recriminations. Mike points out quite clearly in the first episode that he’s passed the bar. That means he’s legally allowed to practice law (in that state). The secret is he didn’t go to Harvard and all the lawyers Pearson and Hardman employs did. If he’d graduated from Yale (if Yale has Law degrees – Aussie, I have no clue) Mike would stil have the same problem/secret.
      If/when it came out (if this wasn’t a TV drama) it would be quietly delt with as a breach of contract and Mike would be fired in such a way that no one outside of Pearson and Hardman – or more probably outside of the partners – would ever know. Jessica and Harvey would loose some face in front of the other senior partners but their reputation wouldn’t suffer as they’d all be doing ‘damage control’ and making sure that the minimum number of peaople are in the know, and that none of their clients ever got wind of it.

One thing: In your story, Harvey hasn’t seen the Star Trek reboot, but in the episode of the mock trial he cites Kirk and the Kobayashi Maru test and changing the parameters of a no-win scenario. Was that test also in the original series?
      In the original series Kirk did beat the Kobayashi Maru, but he was praised for ‘beating the unbeatable by use of initiative’ instead of being accused of cheating.

Anonymous
      Inactive

:cage:
      Errors and Omissions – definately. It was all so beautifully new and shiny and BDSMy.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Is passing the bar under other names the same thing, though? I can’t remember if he ever passed it under his own name? Plus, I think there is more to becoming a lawyer than just passing the bar here in the States, but I’m not going to swear to it since I honestly don’t know what all is involved. Thinking about it, I agree that it would probably be dealt with in-house, and very quietly at that, but I still think Mike would be in some serious trouble – he’s basically defrauding the law firm and drawing a salary while doing it
      Aha. Good to know. The way he said it on the show made me think he was a Reboot fan and my heart did a little flutter. *g* (Reboot being my ST of choice)

Xanthe
      Keymaster

I love the reboot too. Although, like Harvey, I’m a huge Trek fan going back to TOS. And yes, original!Kirk did beat the Kobayashi Maru test too. It was a huge feature of the 2nd movie and very important to Kirk’s psyche because in the 2nd movie his son dies – and the point is made that Kirk, by cheating on the Kobayashi Maru test, avoided having to learn how to deal with issues like facing certain defeat – I rather liked how they made it seem almost like a defect in his character while at the same time being flamboyant and creative.
      I’m not sure what the legal issues would be regarding Mike – I’m a bit confused by it. Also there’s the REAL LIFE issue and the “within the context of the TV show” issue which could differ because the show does play a bit fast and loose with the real life law. As Mike has always been overseen by Harvey, I don’t think they’ve broken the law at all. But Harvey has certainly broken Jessica’s trust and that’s something I find harder to believe, the more we’ve seen of their friendship as the show has progressed.
      If Mike has passed the bar exams does that mean all he’s lacking is the Harvard law degree tag? If so, then that’s not all that heinous in my view. But is a law degree different from passing the bar? In which case, if he’s not got a law degree, that seems much more serious – and that’s the implication I got from the show.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Well, that explains why I didn’t remember this. I haven’t seen that movie since it originally came out and not being Mike, I barely remember it. *g* I like how they used it in the Reboot to introduce Kirk and Spock to one another. The antagonism only serves to up the sexual tension and sets up McCoy to play Yenta. ;)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Harvey is a risk taker, but he’s so over the line on this one, that I wonder if Jessica would or even could forgive him for this particular indiscretion. He’s putting her name, business and reputation on the line and setting her up for all kinds of legal recriminations if and when the truth comes out. And of course it will, eventually. I’m curious as to what he’d say to Jessica about his motives for doing it; “I like the adrenaline high” just isn’t going to cut it with her. This is a major betrayal on a professional level, but I get the feeling it’s the personal betrayal that will mean the most to her and her wrath is going to be epic.
      As for Trevor, I think he’s going for maximum revenge because that’s just the kind of shit friend he truly is. He might not get the whole truth out right then, but I have no doubt that’s what he’s there to do. Boy needs to go back to Montana and stay there.
      Just finished your story before I came over here. Whew! Chapter 3 certainly got intense. Having fibromyalgia, I am a person who is totally not into the kind of pain you were delivering, but the scene was very well written and you never lost the voices of the characters. I very much liked chapter 4, with Mike questioning Harvey about mind-fucking him and taking back his power from Harvey. I can understand Mike wanting to give it all up to Harvey, but I don’t think Harvey has really shown his — trustworthiness? — enough to warrant that kind of absolute submission from Mike. Emotionally, I mean. Can Harvey thaw out enough around Mike and trust him enough to show him those emotions that he hides from everyone else? Chapter 5 answers that question nicely, without making Harvey a blubbering mess to do it (thank you for not going there). All in all, a very satisfying story for this delicate flower *g*. I’m looking forward to reading more of your stories in this fandom. I only wish I watched the other shows you write in.
      One thing: In your story, Harvey hasn’t seen the Star Trek reboot, but in the episode of the mock trial he cites Kirk and the Kobayashi Maru test and changing the parameters of a no-win scenario. Was that test also in the original series? Heh. Harvey is so totally Captain Kirk with Mike being a cross between Genius!Spock and Such-a-Bottom!Chekhov.
      BTW, those D/s emoticons are incredibly distracting. They’re really hard to stop watching lol.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Show Buttons
Hide Buttons