Remember your first time? … (reading a Xanthe fic)

Xanthe Home Forums Xanthe’s Stories Remember your first time? … (reading a Xanthe fic)

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Apparently we are all finding it difficult to choose a favourite Xanthe story because they are all awesome ;)
      So I wondered if everyone remembered the first Xanthe story/fandom they ever read or the one that got them coming back for more…
      Did you get lured by an NCIS fic? :gibbs:
      Or tempted by the BDSM verse? :whip:
      Was it humour, ;D angst :'( and suspense or true love :-* that hooked you?
      Or was it the spanking? :spank:

Xanthe
      Keymaster

Apparently we are all finding it difficult to choose a favourite Xanthe story because they are all awesome ;)
      So I wondered if everyone remembered the first Xanthe story/fandom they ever read or the one that got them coming back for more…
      Did you get lured by an NCIS fic? :gibbs:
      Or tempted by the BDSM verse? :whip:
      Was it humour, ;D angst :'( and suspense or true love :-* that hooked you?
      Or was it the spanking? :spank:
      ROFLMAO! I just LOVE how you’ve used the emoticons! LOL! I’ll be interested in people’s replies too :whipcrack: And that gif is just because it makes me laugh!

Keymaster

My first one was 24/7, had never heard of xanthe or really knew much about this new discovery called slash. I had never ventured beyond my fandom of the Pretender before, and had only read one slash story. The Pretender has very little slash in the fandom so I had to hunt further afield. Stumbled across some site (not xanthe.org which i did not discover for a little while more) and found this Mulder Skinner story called 24/7 and I started reading. (had a bit of a crush on Mulder so figured give it a shot).
      I was hooked, but the site only had part of the damn story (and there is LOTS of parts, having recently coded that monster …. ohh sooo very many parts)… so off I went hunting things down again, trying to get the rest of the story until i finally landed at Xanthe.org and happily camped there for quite some time. After finishing 24/7 worked my way through the X-files, both the Adversary and Enslaved standing out in my memory the most… then a few years later i thought i woudl check up on the site and low and behold, omg, there is SGA and NCIS… so i started working my way through that as well… until i got all side tracked by this massive purple project and my reading had to stop or no work would be done and then someone woudl :whipcrack:

Anonymous
      Inactive

One of my very good friends turned me on to Keira Marcos’ fic and I read her “Ties that Bind” series, which is based on Xanthe’s “Coming Home” and “General and Dr. Sheppard” series. So I, of course, popped right on over here and before I could even get to the two fics which inspired Keira I saw “Hiding in Plain Sight” and that it was a SGA/NCIS Fusion.
      Now before I saw that I had never even looked at NCIS (one of my very favorite shows) through slash glasses. Crazy I know, but there ya go. So of course I settled in to read Hiding in Plain Sight first. It was a terrific first experience and I haven’t stopped reading XantheFic (or NCIS fic) since. In fact, I spend a great deal of my time on the computer reading and I’ve never been happier!
      And I will read any story based on the BDSM Universe Xanthe created, no matter the fandom. So I guess it would have to be the BDSM ‘Verse that hooked me. :buddy:

Anonymous
      Inactive

:whip: :bondage: :spank:
      Does ^ that ^ answer your question?
      Truth though, my very first Xanthe stary was Coming Home in early 2007 which I found via the Titanium Whip Awards. It blew my young (not-so) niave mind away.
      I didn’t start obsessively cheking in to her LJ until she started writing NCIS. At that point I was totally hooked ;D

Keymaster

I still have Xanthe’s sites in the ‘X-Files’ link-file….so it was an X-files fic, but I am not sure if it was 24/7. That is not a story you stuble across and read just because you need a fix of hot sex ;) So probably one of the other, shorter ones….
      And yes, I have sorted the links to my favorite fiction sites by fandom ::)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Oooops… I didn’t answer my own question yet!
      Naughty me :gibbs:
      (I am so in love in love with all the emoticons and gifs it’s ridiculous ;) )
      Anyway I sort of discovered Xanthe twice. I read an SGA fic The Chair and loved it. (Oh Rodney, bless your snarky little heart…)
      Then a while later I read Ties that Bind by Keira Marcos which is set in a BDSM world inspired by Xanthe’s creation. So I followed the trail back to Xanthe and read Coming Home and General and Dr Sheppard. I loved both stories so much. It was beautiful to see how John and Rodney came together in Coming Home and General and Dr Sheppard was exciting for me because while I (having a very visual imagination) could totally see it playing out as an actual epic- BDSMy SGA episode in my head – yummy ;D
      Then I read what remains my favourite – Hiding in Plain Sight and went on to read all the other awesome NCIS fic.
      So Keira and Xanthe lured me to the dark side :whip:
      …thanks guys!
      Oh and I am now happily reading my way throught the X-files fic. Can’t believe I never read those before. Totally loved Subterfuge.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Fairly certain it was 24/7 since it would be at the top of the Xfiles lists. I was pulled into NCIS with Two Masters, and SGA with Hiding in Plain Sight. Probably would have found her faster, but she doesn’t have any Duncan/Methos stories. LOL

Anonymous
      Inactive

I came into the fandom with General & Dr Sheppard (i started reading slash fiction thanks to Stargate Antlantis…and i STILL have no idea why…but boy am i glad i did). I think i was just as confused as canon rodney and john were to meet the guys from the BDSM universe. I would love to read the Carson/Caldwell romance one day…*sigh*

Anonymous
      Inactive

The General and Dr. Sheppard was my first one and my life was changed forever. I never knew buried deep in my brain I had a huge kink for spankings and BDSM in general. Xanthe brought the kink out in me and I have been worshipping her ever since.

Anonymous
      Inactive

the first one i read was Two Masters – what can i say? gibbs as uber dom? did you hear my “hoo”? after that i had to read everything…whether or not i was interested in the boys – eg: skinner/mulder. and to say that i love that whole dynamic is an understatement.
      i’m so beyond glad that xanthe has picked up the suits boys because really, if there is any more suitable D/s pair, i haven’t found it….even gibbs/dinozzo doesn’t stand up to harvey/mike.
      i check in on a daily basis hoping that something is new – but even if its not, i read something.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’m not too sure which of Xanthe’s stories I’ve read for the first time…but am fairly sure that it was Hiding in Plain Sight (or is it General & Dr Sheppard?) and from that, I started to read more & more of Xanthe’s stories. I don’t think I’ve read all of her stories…yet!

Anonymous
      Inactive

I found 24/7 (possibly via Keira – my memory is hazy there, I seem to have discovered both at the same time) and read it, despite only have watched a handful of X-files episodes. I think what got me was the care that Walter showed – which is one of the most appealing things for me.

Anonymous
      Inactive

My first time?……
      It was some years ago…I had only recently discovered the joys of slash!
      I was (as my username might suggest!) into SGA – specifically McShep. …So, I snuck into the luibrary with a brown paperbag over my head so-to-speak….and on a search I came across Coming Home….WOW!
      I read and reread and read that particular fic…and anything else SGA I could find…plus SG!.
      When I got my laptop I could indulge myself with slash whenever I had the time! And I began to devour anything of Xanthe that I could find!
      When I first read ‘Hiding In Plain Sight’ I was only vaguely familair with NCIS….well that soon changed!
      Then last year I read ‘Possession’….and am so thrilled that the Dave channel is showing Suits!….I may as well admit I watch it on Tuesday and then carch the repeat on Saturdays too!
      I have a Kindle – and have a file on there for my slashy e-books…and yes, it includes Coming Home, General and Dr Shephard, Hiding in Plain Sight, Two Masters (which I am currently re-reading for the I forget how manyeth time!), Too Wolves, Back From The Well, The First Collar, Subterfuge, Damage, Friday Night Club………have I missed any?!!! If I have let me know, my Kindle is always hungry for more! (And yes, I have Keira Marcos’ e-books on there too!)
      So what is the appeal?….Well the spanking obviously!….and the humour….and the fact that it is (mostly!) all done with such love…and the accompanying art work is amazing,,,,,plus the stories are terrificly well-written too!
      Yes, the well-written is why I keep coming back for more!…I am disabled and no longer able to work…I have enough spare time to read more than is probably good for me!…(and I occassionally write the odd McShep fic myself…)…and have come across a whole cross-section of writing styles. And I have to say Xanthe -you write really well!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi y’all
      First time in this forum. Like the decor…
      First Xanthe fic was wa-a-ay back before she started writing The West Wing. X-files was still on the air, although way past it’s sell-by date. Don’t remember which was the very first one, but slash both as a concept and as fanfic were very very new to me. 24/7 wasn’t even finished. The one that stuck with me then, and still does to this day is The Adversary. Had to read it in small bits and then go run around the block. But, of course, I read everything after that, wrote her gobs of feedback that I’m sure was trying.
      So it’s been years and she’s even inspired me to write some fanfic my own self. Some gen, some slash, not a lot in general. But I’ve read almost everything she’s written – almost, because I don’t watch Suits, and if/when I do, I will.
      Now, Xanthe, if I can just get you to come to Comic Con…
      Iggie (aka Shan)

Xanthe
      Keymaster

Hi Shan! LOL! I didn’t know The Adversary was my first fic you read. EEP! LOL! You should try watching Suits – it’s great. Ooh, and have you seen “Touch” – the pilot aired recently but the show isn’t starting for real until March. It’s SO GOOD! And Person of Interest is one I’d recommend as well :-) .
      I’d love to come to Comic Con one day. Life events just seem to conspire against me! It’s such a good thing I didn’t commit to going last year because I broke my leg and wouldn’t have been able to anyway!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yes, I saw Touch, and I love it. Kiefer Sutherland is forever cursed to follow American Idiot, er, Idol in the US. I hope his character never fires a gun, al la Jack Bauer, although he does do a lot of running around. Love that he’s scared of heights.
      And Person of Interest is my fav show right now. Both men are so mysterious, and Reese is so softly ironic. I’d like to know how Finch got his limp, and if it had anything to do with Nathan’s death. Even Nathan has become really interesting, even tho we’ve only seen him in flashbacks. I love Carter a lot for her kick-ass world view and even slimy Lionel, who is so Reese’s bitch.
      But I can’t slash them. (Yes, I know I said that about The West Wing). But there are some characters I can’t slash – John Crichton, Malcolm Reynolds, Dexter Morgan, the Winchesters – with each other, Sheldon Lee Cooper, because I think his sexless odd friendship with Penny is way more interesting, and in any case, Howard and Raj more than make up for it. ;D
      Speaking of Comic Con, we’re negotiating hotels right now, cross fingers for the Omni again. Should we keep a coupla beds warm for you? 8)

Xanthe
      Keymaster

I can’t wait for more of Touch. I was totally wowed by it. And PoI is MY favourite show right now too! I love Reese being so softly ironic – and he and Finch make such utterly interesting characters when put together. I could slash them though *g*. I love the idea of them calling each other “Mr Reese” and “Mr Finch” in bed. They are oddballs so I’m not sure I could do more than a one shot with them but it’d be fun ;-) .
      Hmm, perhaps we should start a “characters who should never be slashed” thread!
      I don’t think Sheldon should be with anyone on BBT although it doesn’t bother me in ff. I’m annoyed at the Sheldon/Amy thing because I find it utterly unbelievable. Also, I don’t actually like Amy as a character. I do love Penny, but I’m not that interested in the Sheldon/Penny friendship. I actually think it works best as a team show. Most shows do – which is why it’s annoying when they pair everyone off all the time!
      I doubt I’ll get to Comic Con this year. Maybe next!

Xanthe
      Keymaster

I can’t wait for more of Touch. I was totally wowed by it. And PoI is MY favourite show right now too! I love Reese being so softly ironic – and he and Finch make such utterly interesting characters when put together. I could slash them though *g*. I love the idea of them calling each other “Mr Reese” and “Mr Finch” in bed. They are oddballs so I’m not sure I could do more than a one shot with them but it’d be fun ;-) .
      Hmm, perhaps we should start a “characters who should never be slashed” thread!
      I don’t think Sheldon should be with anyone on BBT although it doesn’t bother me in ff. I’m annoyed at the Sheldon/Amy thing because I find it utterly unbelievable. Also, I don’t actually like Amy as a character. I do love Penny, but I’m not that interested in the Sheldon/Penny friendship. I actually think it works best as a team show. Most shows do – which is why it’s annoying when they pair everyone off all the time!
      I doubt I’ll get to Comic Con this year. Maybe next!

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Show Buttons
Hide Buttons